Head to the Ocean Zone in Lloyd’s Amphitheatre this weekend to visit City to Sea and discover how you can help reduce the serious problem of plastic getting into our rivers and oceans.
It’s likely there will be more plastic than fish in the ocean by 2050 so City to Sea are on a mission to phase out single-use plastics. City to Sea will be showing you how to shop plastic-free in a scoop shop (supported by Essential Trading), how to make your own facewash and avoid using those with plastic microbeads, and creating your own snacks. There will also be a treasure trail around the Festival for children to take part in and plastic-free products for sale from Natracare and Elephant Box.
As a taster of what’s on offer, here’s a recipe for easy-to-make Apricot & Cashew Energy Balls that the City to Sea team will be demonstrating how to make on the day:
Apricot & Cashew Energy Balls
(Makes: approx. 20 balls weighing approx. 23g)
175g dried apricots
50g desiccated coconut/ Oats to roll them in
- Soak the apricots and cashew nuts until soft (overnight in cold water or 10 mins in hot water)
- Place all your ingredients into the food processor or a bowl.
- Take a smaller amount, squeeze it and form them to ball shape.
- Roll them on a plate into oats or coconut to seal them.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.