Remote learning resources for young people aged 11-14
Communicate+ is a cutting-edge event for young people aged 11-14 to discuss, explore and learn about key issues in science communication and nature conservation. The programme is shaped by young people themselves, alongside experts and partners in the conservation sector.
This year Communicate+ will be run remotely through a self-led lesson plan and resources, providing flexibility for teachers and students to take part.
The lesson plan, created by Avon Wildlife Trust, has been developed to give students the opportunity to discuss environmental issues, such as the environmental impact of Coronavirus, build skills in environmental communication, and feedback ideas and suggestions to professionals in the conservation sector.
Communicate+ KS3 Session Plan
50-60mins (this can be adapted to suit remote learning timetables)
- Learn more about the Ecological Emergency
- Develop an understanding of intersectionality
- Discuss environmental issues
- Imagine a positive future and what that would look like
- Feedback ideas and suggestions conservation sector professionals
- A session plan for teachers
- The pre-recorded YouTube video – three short talks about the ecological emergency, intersectionality, and coronavirus (20mins)
- A worksheet for students
- A document explaining the Postcard from the Future Activity
- Instructions on uploading your postcards to the easy to use shared Padlet
For a copy of the session plan and resources please email the Our Bright Future team: Ourbrightfuture@avonwildlifetrust.org.uk
Communicate+ has been made possible by support from the UK Science Festivals Network and UK Research and Innovation.
Avon Wildlife Trust
Bath & North East Somerset Council
BBC Natural History Unit
Bristol City Council
Bristol Zoo Gardens
University of Bath
University of Bristol
University of the West of England
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
The Natural History Consortium is a charitable collaboration between these member organisations.
Engaging people with the natural world through collaborative action. Reg Charity 1123432